Dermaplaning is a non-invasive procedure for the removal of the outermost layers of dead skin cells on the face. The Dermaplaning treatment involves exfoliation of targeted areas of the surface layers of the skin using a very small blade. The blade is stroked along the skin at an angle, much like shaving. Vellus hair is removed as a biproduct of this treatment.
Unlike exfoliating peel procedures, Dermaplaning uses no chemicals, and therefore causes less irritation. The result is skin that is immediately freshened and vitalized, even after one treatment. Patients often benefit from multiple treatments spaced three to four weeks apart.
Benefits of dermaplaning include:
• Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
• Reduction in the appearance of deep acne scars
• Smoother, more even complexion
• Removal of fine facial hair, commonly referred to as “peach fuzz”
• Enhanced penetration of skin care products following treatment
Dermaplaning can be an alternative to chemical peels or microdermabrasion, and may be ideal for patients with extremely sensitive skin, unwanted facial hair, rosacea, or visible facial veins. The treatment can also be combined with a chemical peel to allow the peel to penetrate the skin more deeply and evenly.